Friday, August 28, 2015

Nut Free Flying: Jet Blue

I wanted to retract my statement about JetBlue Airways​ being a good airline for traveling nut free. While Flying on August 19, I saw the below package of cookies, and assumed they provided nut free flights. In my excitement, I didn't do my research, and provided false information.
A photo posted by Leanne Pinard (@leannepinard) on

Although they offer nut free foods (like above), they also offer tree nut products that I did not notice my first flight there. My interaction with Jet Blue also caused me to believe they were completely nut free.

Jet Blue Website According to their website, they also offer bars with nuts (Kind Bar, Cranberry and Almonds), and they offer roasted cashews. According to the Jet Blue Nut Policy, although they do not serve peanuts, they cannot guarantee a peanut free flight. Passengers may bring peanuts and eat them on the flight. You can inform flight crew that you have an allergy, and they create a buffer zone of a few rows around you asking people not to open any peanut products they may have.

Sure, this is great in theory if you do not have an air born allergy because honestly, being stuck on a plane with zero airflow that spans only 25 rows will not keep you safe if someone 4 rows ahead of you is eating peanuts. On my flight experience while leaving the plane, as I was walking up from row 19 where I was seated, there were peanuts scattered on the floor at about row 8. Please tell me how I was kept safe while walking through a row of peanuts, because I wasn't. I understand it is difficult to keep planes completely nut free but when you have an air born allergy, even walking through the mess of peanuts can cause a reaction.

I am challenging Jet Blue to take a look at their peanut/tree nut policy in order to make flights safer for all passengers. This includes providing educational materials for their passengers so they can better understand the severity of allergic reactions and why it is important that they keep products with nuts off of the plane and out of the air. A way to do this is to have a sign stating "we are nut free, if you have any nut products with you please do not eat them on board"

I hope Jet Blue accepts my challenge and becomes dedicated to keeping people safe while on board their flights.

No comments:

Post a Comment